Vegan Cardamom Vanilla Cupcakes with Rose FrostingMakes 10-12 Cupcakes
Cardamom Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1 ¼ cup pastry/cake flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp Heilala Ground Vanilla Powder
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup nut milk
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
Rose Vanilla Frosting
- ½ cup vegan butter- cold
- ⅓ cup shortening- cold
- ½ tbsp coconut cream (optional, but makes the frosting fluffy)
- ½ tsp Heilala Ground Vanilla Powder
- ¼ tsp rose water
- 2 tbsp dried rose petals (optional, to top cupcakes)
Making the Cupcakes
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Fill a muffin tin with 10-12 cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl sift together your dry ingredients including the pastry flour, salt, Heilala Vanilla Powder, cardamom, baking powder, and baking soda. Set the mixing bowl to the side.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine your nut milk, sugar, and vegetable oil and whisk to combine. Then, slowly begin adding the bowl of dry ingredients to the mixing bowl of wet ingredients and whisk together until a smooth batter forms.
- Fill each cupcake liner ¾ of the way full with batter. Place the tin of cupcakes into the oven. Bake for 22-25 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let cool in the baking tray for 5 minutes. Then, carefully remove the cupcakes and let cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
Frosting the Cupcakes
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, make your frosting. Add the vegan butter, shortening, and coconut cream to a mixing bowl and use a mixer to beat until light and fluffy, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Once the frosting in well mixed, add in the rose water and Heilala Vanilla Powder and whip about 30 more seconds to combine.
- Add the frosting to a piping bag and frost your cupcakes. Top with the dried rose petals for decoration. Enjoy!
** If you plan on eating the cupcakes in 1-3 days, store in a closed container at room temperature and frost on the day you are ready to eat. Cupcakes are best enjoyed within 48 hours of baking.
** If you plan to eat the cupcakes more than 3 days after baking, wrap each cupcake in plastic wrap and store in a closed container in the freezer. Do not refrigerate as this will dry your cupcakes out. Let the cupcakes defrost at room temperature for 1-2 hours and then frost as normal on the day you are ready to eat.
** If you do not have rose water, these cupcakes are equally good with a vanilla frosting. Just skip the rose water and only use vanilla bean powder.