Homemade Vanilla Bean CustardMakes 2 ½ cups
- 1 Heilala Vanilla Bean, split
- 2 cups full cream milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp Heilala Vanilla Sugar for sprinkling
- Scrape the vanilla bean seeds into the milk in a heavy-based saucepan. Add the vanilla bean and heat until the milk is hot but not boiling. Leave to infuse for 5-10 minutes.
- In a bowl mix together the egg yolks and sugar, then add the infused milk, stirring constantly. Wipe out the saucepan and return the mixture.
- Cook over a low to moderate heat, stirring constantly until the custard thickens enough to lightly coat the wooden spoon. Pour custard into a clean bowl, sprinkle with vanilla sugar to prevent a skin forming. Leave to cool, then cover and refrigerate. Remove vanilla bean before serving.
- Serve vanilla custard in glasses or pour into a jug and serve with poached fruit.